If you would like to receive encouraging comments on
your artwork, leave encouraging comments for others!

Saturday, November 6, 2010

#2 "Raisin Harvest"- Sheryl Hawkins


I have been busy painting, and didn't realize that it had been three weeks since I posted my first painting for the challenge! Maybe its time for me to get organized.
This vineyard painting is a watercolor- 18X24 on rough surface paper. I love painting vineyards, and thought this was going to be more fun than it turned out to be. We used to live on a vineyard and I took many photos of the vines at different times of the year. Harvest time was one of my favorites because the grape leaves start to change color and the green grapes on the trays turn to a dark brownish purple.
I had trouble getting my shadows the way I wanted them, and had to lift paint and try again to get the cast shadows the purplish tone that I was looking for. I also repainted the vines on the shade side with added ultramarine blue and alizarin crimson to get a purplish green there. My next problem when I finally finished, was getting it scanned in 4 sections to stitch together. It wasn't matching up well, so I am just going to post a photo instead.

-watercolor

3 comments:

Elva Paulson said...

Hoo Ray! You are back.

What an interesting painting. We grow a lot of grapes here, but by harvest time I don't think they would ever dry laid out by that.

I particularily like how the shadows reach out into the path.

Kelly said...

...interesting. I always wondered how grapes were harvested. I didn't realize they were all brought to the center rows on sheets of paper or tarps...

I like the cast shadows and the light showing on the left side.

Kelly said...

p.s. I forgot to mention....18x24 is large! I haven't tried a watercolor that big yet. Impressive...