If you would like to receive encouraging comments on
your artwork, leave encouraging comments for others!

Friday, May 11, 2012

Claire painting 15: View from my son's window

My oldest son has been sharing some photos of his time in Japan. I was quite taken with this photo as it shows part of his plane (P3) contrasted with a beautiful sunset or sunrise (I can't tell which one). I felt as if the photo was calling me to paint it - and I considered it a challenge. Thinking about my son last night, as he nears the end of this deployment in Japan, got me inspired to take on the challenge and paint this image. As I was painting I was thinking of how this has been a fun way for me to keep in touch with my son despite the many, many miles between us. I can't wait to see him again!!!

P.S. I've included his original photo in case your're interested in the view that inspired this.

3 comments:

Lorrie Klosterman said...

Claire, when I first saw this painting without reading anything, I thought how much that "tree" in the foreground looked like an airplane propeller. Then I read your post and realized it is supposed to be that. And your creation is more vibrant than the photo -- bravo!! What you say is such a good remainder that one of the reasons to paint is not about how it looks at the end, but what goes on inside us during the process, namely, when you say "As I was painting I was thinking of how this has been a fun way for me to keep in touch with my son despite the many, many miles between us." The time that goes into creating art can become an immersion in the place, or the person, or the event, or the memory (or fantasy!) that we are depicting. Wishing you a happy reunion upon his return!

Claire M said...

Thank you for the comments!!

Terry said...

I really like your sky with its beautiful colors. Very interesting and nice.