If you would like to receive encouraging comments on
your artwork, leave encouraging comments for others!

Thursday, May 10, 2012

Lorrie # 92 - Morning on the Shore

Morning at the Shore - watercolor, 5 x 7 inches
A little plein aire sketch done while in the car (not much time!), looking down on Santa Cruz beach--which really looks nothing like this because I ignored most of the many buildings in view from here. I wanted to simplify and focus on what attracted me most today: the tall palms and a few of the little red-roofed, white-walled buildings.

3 comments:

Claire M said...

I really like this image and it does indeed remind me of nearby Santa Cruz. The buildings and Palm trees look great, and I'm also take with how you captured the sand and water - with restraint letting the 'whites' show through. What type of paper did you use for this?

Lorrie Klosterman said...

Hey Claire, this was done in a watercolor sketch book, specifically Canston's, with the hardbound black cover and black wire spiral binding. It's my favorite sketchbook type. I use it more sparingly than other lesser-quality sketch books, because these have gotten mighty expensive lately in the stores... although I see that online they are cheaper (but add shipping cost of course), such as here http://www.artsuppliesdirect.com/bienfangwatercolorpaper11x15-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1.aspx

Terry said...

Very nicel done. You did such a good job of simplifying and then capturing a lovely beach scene. Nice colors too.