If you would like to receive encouraging comments on
your artwork, leave encouraging comments for others!

Monday, June 11, 2012

Elva # 51: Yellowstone Raven

I have lots of catching up to do since I didn't post for about two months .... but I was busy painting.  I started this raven on location. Our first day in Yellowstone this raven flew in and perched on a branch near me. .... and talked a lot.  She even made little frog croaking noises.  We never heard a raven do that before.

Painted in my Stillman and Birn 180# Rough paper sketchbook.
I felt the first version was stiff .... so i took a deep breath and softened it with a wash and more background color.  I think I still like the first version best, but it was good to dare to see what I could do.

Any comments for you all as to which version you like best?

2 comments:

Terry said...

I also like the first raven better but they are both SO beautiful! The first raven really stands out with the plainer background.

Kelly said...

...he is gorgeous, Elva. I love them both in different ways. I probably would lean towards the first like you if I had to make a choice! :-)