If you would like to receive encouraging comments on
your artwork, leave encouraging comments for others!

Saturday, March 10, 2012

CathyO, #7 - Catedral Nuestra Senora de Guadelupe at sunset

The Cathedral of Our Lady of Guadalupe marks the boundary of  Plaza Las Delicias in Ponce, Puerto Rico.  Our hotel room overlooked the Plaza.  One evening, a stunning sunset  put one side of the church in complete shadow.  I thought it would be fun to try and paint.  I think that in my effort to make the shadow dark enough, I made it too dark.  Or maybe I should have suggested some of the architectural elements, even tho they were really not visible.  Any suggestions are welcome!

2 comments:

Lorrie Klosterman said...

Lovely contrast of brilliant colors in sky and the shadowed building. I don't think you need more architectural detail in the building--the sunset colors are what draws the eye, and you already do have nice detail depicted on left side o the building. One thing you might experiment with is darker shadow on part of the building to convey that it curves toward us. It currently looks a bit flat, or like it curves inward. Maybe trying a couple of small versions of this would help work out how to convey the cylindrical shape? A small object of similar shape could provide a "still life" model to help figure out just where the darkest areas would be in this back-lit subject. Have fun!

CathyO said...

Hi Lorrie,
Great observation about the shape being flat! I will work with trying to give it some shape/roundness. I didn't see that! Thanks for the help!