If you would like to receive encouraging comments on
your artwork, leave encouraging comments for others!

Friday, December 31, 2010

Kelly - Painting 100 :-D

Acrylic, 18x24

The canvas was big...and the lighting poor, so the photo doesn't capture the painting very well. I need to learn how to photograph large canvases because after working on this one, I know I'm going to want to keep getting larger with my art! Mostly I stuck with 9x12 or smaller for the challenge.

(Same painting just cropped for detail.)
To help a bit, I cropped the image down for a better look at the American Tree Sparrow. These little sparrows are so sweet, and I was trying to capture their "polite" personality.

Yeah!! I can't believe I finished the challenge. Thank you, Laure for hosting the challenge. I've learned so much, and I'm so glad I did it!!

6 comments:

Elva Paulson said...

Congratulations Kelly! Bravo!

I especially like this tree sparrow .... a perky little fellow.

Here are some comments on photographing paintings, which I have done a lot of for myself and others:
I usually take my paintings outside to photograph. I prefer a very light overcast day, but with digital I can compensate for darker days. Watercolors with white paper are the hardest. Many a time I have spread a white sheet on a sunny day and put the painting underneath this white canopy. It is worth the effort when you need a really good photograph of a painting. White paper glares in the sunlight and textured paint catches bits of light. ..... or you can buy the right kind of lights and do a professional job indoors.

Kelly said...

...thanks, Elva! I like the sheet idea. I wonder if outside on the north side of the house...in the shade might be good? The fact that the thick yellow paint was still very wet didn't help matters, either. I can see it will take a lot of practice.

Elva Paulson said...

You can photo in the shade if you know how to change the white balance .. either on your camera or with something decent imaging software ... otherwise the painting will probably look cold.

brincrish said...

What a wonderful picture to complete your challenge! Congratulations Kelly! I have really enjoyed seeing your pictures.

Teri said...

CONGRATULATIONS KELLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
What a great feeling of accomplishment this is.
Your birds are all so beautiful!!!!

Welcome to the Alumni club.

Gabrielle said...

I wanted to stop by and say congrats when you reached 100, but when I saw the actual 100th painting, it just blew me away! Wow! I love how you combined an abstract background with a realistic bird and took this painting to another level. What a great way to end the year and your challenge!