If you would like to receive encouraging comments on
your artwork, leave encouraging comments for others!

Monday, January 31, 2011

What's Left of Fall- #1

What's Left of Fall (c)2011
Hello everyone at The 100 Painting Challenge! I made it here in one piece, safe and sound and thrilled. I am very excited, as you can see, to be making this commitment. Although the idea was scary
to me at first, now I've jumped in with both feet.

I'm making my debut in the challenge today with #1, What's Left of Fall, a 7x10 watercolor still life on 140lb Arches cold press paper. It began as a twenty minute work for Teri Casper's Twenty Minute Challenge and as it needed more work to consider it finished, I planned to use it as my first piece here.

I've been painting still life's of found objects, fruit, leaves, beach pebbles, shells as my motivation. These items are out for me to see during my day. When I have some time, while my new granddaughter naps, I arrange the objects and paint quickly. My aim has been fighting resistance, so painting quickly is key. Besides, when I labor over a work it's possible to ruin everything, so I stop! 

This challenge has been a major push for me to get myself painting regularly, to decide which mediums I truly want to continue using, and keep resistance at a nice, long distance away! Thank you so much for this opportunity. I welcome any comments, questions, and criticisms and look forward to our conversations!

7 comments:

Mermaid's Palette said...

Welcome, Dora! This is a good start!
Sheryl

Teri said...

I always love your beautiful nature still life's Dora. How fun to see the transition from 20 minutes to a completed beauty! So exciting to see you participating here.

Dora Sislian Themelis said...

Thank you Sheryl and Teri! I'm ready and excited to get to #2.

Kelly said...

...this is beautiful, Dora! I love the name you've given it too!

Elva Paulson said...

Welcome to the challenge. I look forward to watching.

Dora Sislian Themelis said...

Hi Kelly and thank you!

Dora Sislian Themelis said...

Thank you so much for the welcome Eva!