If you would like to receive encouraging comments on
your artwork, leave encouraging comments for others!

Friday, February 18, 2011

Kelly - Painting 15

Watercolor
7x10 Arches Cold Pressed 140 lb Paper

This painting of a Hooded Warbler was a total experiment. For the first time ever, I used Miskit (Liquid Masking fluid). I outlined the leaves and the birds with the masking fluid so I could lay in a background with abandon. Wow...Miskit is cool...and it really works! It's also a design created from a memory. I didn't have a reference photo because I lost the card with the photos from that day. I was always sad about that because we spent so much time with the Hooded Warblers but I had no photos to record it. As I thought about that day, the leaves kept appearing in my head in a painterly style...so I quickly sketched it out directly on watercolor paper.

I saw this fellow in July of 2010 at Shawnee State Park. It was early in the day, and it had just rained...the sky was dark and it was hot...and super humid--and he was so vibrant in the dark shadows of the understory. Now I have a visual of that day in addition to a memory!
:-)

1 comment:

Mermaid's Palette said...

Love your background- isn't miskit great stuff?
Sheryl