If you would like to receive encouraging comments on
your artwork, leave encouraging comments for others!

Sunday, February 20, 2011

Kelly - Painting 17

Watercolor
12x16 Arches Cold Pressed 140 lb Paper

...another Hooded Warbler! This is the watercolor version of the oil pastel I posted earlier today (painting 16). I changed the position of the bill and the wing, enlarged his eye (Hooded Warblers have the largest eyes of all the Wood Warblers), and flattened out his head a bit...changed the position of the bib and filled out his chest too, but I liked the rest of the pose. I'm glad I did the oil pastel as a practice because it was fun and let me see what worked and what didn't in the posture. I used the same techniques in this painting as I did in painting 15 (the 7x10 practice painting of the Hooded Warbler). I'm glad I did that practice painting too because I learned so much from it. I used a lot more wet on wet with the leaves, and I like these leaves better than those in 15. This whole series was a great learning project.

2 comments:

Sibel said...

You are very talented I believe water color is a very hard medium to control. Have you heard of James Asher? he too is exceptional.

Mermaid's Palette said...

Kelly-
I do like the leaves in this second one! And the background looks a little darker which makes the leaves stand out even more!
Nice!
Sheryl