If you would like to receive encouraging comments on
your artwork, leave encouraging comments for others!

Friday, February 5, 2010

Painting #20 - Daisy In Gouache

As in my usual MO, I started painting this daisy in watercolor on hot press paper and discovered I do not like hot press paper at all.  Watercolor just doesn't blend the way I want it to.  (The more I learn the fussier I am getting. lol)

Then I decided to try it with gouache on black paper.  I have discovered Larry Seiler who does a lot of painting in watercolor and gouache.  He recently used gouache  on black paper so after the hot press disaster I decided to try gouache on black paper also.

I keep trying new things and this exercise was great for illustrating tones and is really helping me achieve that with watercolor.

7 comments:

Kathy said...

This absolutely glows, Teri! I love it!

Laure Ferlita said...

Hot press is definitely a different animal, but don't give up on it just yet. There are ways of working with the paper that make it a dream paper for certain types of subjects. Especially those with lots of detail or where tight rendering is helpful.

Check out Susan Harrison-Tustain. She has a book and paints awesome florals on hot press.

Love the added touches of yellow to your daisy - really makes it pop!

Teri said...

Okay, I won't give up. Yet. Going to check on the the artist.

Elva Paulson said...

This glows! Makes me want to try gouache on black paper .... are you using tube gouache,or paint box gouache? I never seem to get the paint loosened up enough in the paint box.

I haven't looked at my gouache tubes yet. If they are anything like my ten year old watercolors at least half of them will be hard as bricks. -- well fired bricks.

I agree with Laure that Hot press has its place .... especially for detail. It was my bread and butter for many years. Now I'm trying to learn the 'real' qualities of watercolor.

Kelly said...

I always love your daisies, and I love this painting. As Elva says, it glows! I could totally see this in my kitchen!

Teri said...

Thanks, I really enjoyed playing with this one. It is tube gouache and I recently bought a few basic colors so not sure if age could be a problem. Time to get it out and try it. Funny how when I experiment it seems to be on daisies. :)

K said...

Teri, this is a new favorite of mine. I love watching what you do in gouache.