If you would like to receive encouraging comments on
your artwork, leave encouraging comments for others!

Sunday, February 21, 2010

Painting #26 Potted Cactus

This potted cactus sits outside the new Ritz Carlton near Tucson with Dove Mountain in the background.  We went to their open house several weeks ago and I took this photo and used it as an inspiration for the painting.  This is the same place where a golf tournament took place this weekend.  

I am trying to do more landscapes and each one seems to get just a tad easier and now I am thinking 'background' for each painting whether it is a landscape or not.  Before taking on this challenge I rarely gave the background a thought.

5 comments:

Kelly said...

...very pretty (and warm looking too!). I really like the pot the cactus is planted in--lovely shadows. I'm sort of in that "not thinking about backgrounds" stage. I need to start adding them in...

K said...

Teri, the pot positively glows!

Claire M said...

Gosh - there is so much I like about this painting. You've successfully captured the foreground separately from the background. The details on the cactus are wonderful - I can see the ridges/troughs such that I'm imaginging being able to feel them myself. The lighting in the foreground and background is also interesting. Nice combination.

Elva Paulson said...

I like how the background colors and the forground subject work together. Good job, Teri.

Laure Ferlita said...

Love that pot and the rich play of compliments in this, Teri! Super job!