If you would like to receive encouraging comments on
your artwork, leave encouraging comments for others!

Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Claire painting 2: Bampa's Tree

I want to capture some memories of this special wooden Christmas tree that my Father created for my oldest son (his first grandchild). This was my first attempt, but I'd like to take another pass on it. I'm not sure what color to use for the ground. I first started with a coral, but that seemed to bright or light, so I went over it with Cobalt Blue and got this purple color. Still not quite what I had in mind. Maybe I should just go back to a shade of white....
Another puzzle for me ... are the dark greens, too dark?

Here is the reference photo:
Any suggestions?

4 comments:

Kelly said...

...how cool! I love the tree your father created, and I like your painting just as it is. It's very dimensional ("Bampa" is so cute!).

Cheri said...

very nice

Unknown said...

I agree with Kelly about the painting being dimensional, it shows the nature of the tree. As far as the background I really like the purple actually. I don't know why, maybe because it is bright and contrasts with the green. One thing you could try though is to pick a background that is light against the dark part of the tree and dark against the light part, that would make it really pop.

Elva Paulson said...

Bampa ' tree is just right. If you want to try something different in the forground you might think about some red cloth gathered at its base and fading off into nothingness .. no horizontal line.