If you would like to receive encouraging comments on
your artwork, leave encouraging comments for others!

Wednesday, June 2, 2010

#26 Mountain Bluebird on Aspen

Mountain bluebirds have nested in this aspen tree for several years. The hole used to be much smaller, but a couple of years ago a pair of flickers reamed it out. I’m not sure if flickers or bluebirds nested that year. I was happy to see the bluebirds are back. Note that this aspen also has scars made years ago when a bear cub climbed the tree.

I used my Pelican pen and watercolor for this sketch. It is one of the few I actually painted outside (not scrunched up inside our car).

3 comments:

Debbie Drechsler said...

Elva, it's nice to see you back in the virtual world! I love both of your tree and bird paintings and look forward to seeing more of your Yellowstone stories and pictures!

Claire M said...

I'm amazed at the texture that you've captured in this tree - the variations in color and texture are so interesting. You've really captured some depth. The darling little blue bird is a cute surprise in the page.

Teri said...

This tree is gorgeous! I love that little bluebird!!!!