If you would like to receive encouraging comments on
your artwork, leave encouraging comments for others!

Friday, June 18, 2010

#2 The banyan tree at Tolly

The Tollygunge Club in Kolkata has a golf course with the most amazing trees. I painted this picture for my husband  Viveck's 60th birthday a few days ago. This is a very grand old Banyan and Viveck always says how wonderful it is to see it in its many moods. The banyan never totally loses its leaves, although the leaf cover definitely gets thin in the winter. This is the tree in Spring when a lot of new leaves have come through! I loved painting this picture. The challenge was in trying to capture the magnificence of the tree with its hanging roots, the tiny golfers near it, the many shades of green and the brightness of a summer day!

3 comments:

Teri said...

Fabulous! I saw a tree like this on Maui and you have really captured the tree's magnificence. The addition of the people was inspired since it really shows how huge this tree is.

Elva Paulson said...

What an awesome tree. The little people really bring out its magnificance.

Laure Ferlita said...

We have Banyan trees here as well, but I don't believe I've ever seen one this big! Beautiful work, Brinda! I love use of the building and the people to give a sense of scale to this.