If you would like to receive encouraging comments on
your artwork, leave encouraging comments for others!

Sunday, June 20, 2010

#4 Ceramic, brass and copper!

I did this still life at my weekly painting class. It took a couple of weeks, and I finished it yesterday. We wanted to try and capture the different textures of these objects, the shine and glow of the brass pots, the dull copper of a very old copper kettle and the matt finish of the ceramic pots. As a composition I now feel that maybe a potted plant instead of the tall candle stand at the back may have been better. I really enjoyed painting it, trying to also get the lights and darks, the shadows and reflections. I find I use quite a limited palette...with around 5 to 6 colours and this seems to be enough for almost all my work.

2 comments:

Teri said...

It's beautiful Brinda! Great light and shadows. Love the blue also. I like the candlestick but a green item in there would look nice also.

Laure Ferlita said...

I've always found painting metals to be a fun challenge, but I've never attempted this many in one painting. Lovely work. I do agree the green would have been a nice offset to the muted reds.