If you would like to receive encouraging comments on
your artwork, leave encouraging comments for others!

Thursday, March 4, 2010

#014 Hazy Moon


This is a tough one. I’m trying to capture the hazy moon of a specific night. …. And I’m going to complain about paper again. This-heavy-weight –paper-sketchbook is great for even color but when I tried to scrub some of the paint off around the moon, I broke the surface of the paper. Ah well…. My goal is to experiment. I need to know what each of my tools can do. After so many years of not painting I seem to remember my colors well, but not what different papers do. But I must admit I used to do allmost all my painting on hard, hot pressed illustration board.

This is the same paper I used on the downy woodpeckers (#013) and the Nene goose (#011) and Dewey Morning (#008). I should try something similar on better paper.

7 comments:

Teri said...

It is amazing how some work on that paper and this doesn't. You are learning. And I love this hazy moon and the reflection on the ground.

Kathy said...

I love the feel of this one, too, Elva. The granulation is gorgeous! Did you use a wetter technique with this one? I just wondered if maybe that was the difference.

Elva Paulson said...

Hi Kathy ... when I say I scrubbed, I really did scrub. Just wetting and blotting hardly lifts any paint on this paper. So I wetted a damp cloth and tried to scrub.

Maybe I'm expecting too much of the paper! Some papers let you get away with murder!

Claire M said...

I think this is very effective - I sure get the feel of a night --- an eery night!! Gorgeous moon up in the sky.

Kelly said...

I like the dramatic feel.......very cool.

Laure Ferlita said...

Wonder if masking before hand would work better with this paper. Love your attitude of experimenting! That's where all the happy accidents come from!

Tammie Lee said...

nice to hear of your paper experience. I love the feeling of this piece.