If you would like to receive encouraging comments on
your artwork, leave encouraging comments for others!

Friday, December 9, 2011

Still Life Watercolor #41 Dora Sislian Themelis

#41 Blue Vase with Sunflowers ©2011 Dora Sislian Themelis
15x20 Watercolor on Canson paper
It took twenty minutes each session to complete this watercolor painting of the last of the sunflower photographs. Some challenges were: different paper than I had been using and a larger size, individual sheets rather than a block, artificial light causing color confusion, I realized my art table is too high for painting and I couldn't get away from the work to see where I needed to go next.

Photographing the painting at the art table was awful due to the lighting so I moved it to my big dining room window and the whole painting changed. What a difference natural daylight makes!

5 comments:

Elva Paulson said...

Beautiful, vibrant painting!

You can get color balanced flourescent light bulbs to replicate daylight in the studio. I have it in my studio, but at this time of year I seldom heat my studio.

And my favorite light for photographing a painting is outside on a bright hazy day. Unfortunately that isn't always available. If the sun won't quit shining the the photograph is critical, I make a canopy with a white sheet and photograph under that.

Lorrie Klosterman said...

This is such a lively exciting floral scene... love those leaves!

Unknown said...

I love your compositions, they always appear very well though out and clever, that or you have a good eye for composition. Working with bad light can ruin a painting, or at least make you think colors look completely different.

Dora Sislian Themelis said...

Thanks ladies!

Teri said...

Its gorgeous Dora!!