If you would like to receive encouraging comments on
your artwork, leave encouraging comments for others!

Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Kelly - Painting 55 & 56

(Acrylic, 16x20)

Even though I'm just back from Hilton Head, SC, I saw this Great Blue Heron in March in Florida. I made lots of sketches of him, and have already painted him once (painting #35, an oil pastel). He would stay on the beach for hours near our condo, fishing and watching the water. He was so tame, I could sit feet away from him. I used a palette knife with very thick paint for this painting.

(Watercolor, 12x16)

...another view of the same bird in watercolor this time. I used salt to get the mottled background, then splashed the whole painting with blue...

6 comments:

Pam Johnson Brickell said...

Love the affects of the palette knife painting and the intense eye on the wc!

Claire M said...

How fun to see your different techniques for painting this interesting bird! You're really branching out.

Unknown said...

very cool love the watercolor the most. The splash is neat looking
KAT

Cheri said...

Very nice. I love the wisp of hair on his neck. The only comment I have is only because I am a photographer. There should be a little twinkle in his eye. Just a very light touch of white in the black part.

Laure Ferlita said...

I'd be hard pressed to pick a fav....the top one has great movement as if the wind is blowing hard and the bottom one has a glow as if lit from within— excellent fun on both!

Mermaid's Palette said...

Beautiful colors, Kelly! My fav is the bottom one with the wonderful use of salt - that background is awesome!