If you would like to receive encouraging comments on
your artwork, leave encouraging comments for others!

Sunday, March 27, 2011

# 82 Tigers Nest Monastery Bhutan

I have been painting now for almost 2 years. Its been an amazing experience of learning, sometimes frustrating, sometimes exhilarating....but never dull. Today is a day when I feel I am sailing on a very high wind of sheer joy at having completed a difficult bit of work, and being totally thrilled with what I have produced! I normally paint quickly and use little colour. In this picture I experimented by using both, very little pigment in the misty bits and lots of thick pigment in the dark rock faces! I also surprised myself by taking time to complete the picture slowly, waiting for washes to dry and actually spent time in doing the detail on the monastery. I think the paper made a huge difference as well. I used a really thick paper (Cansons 300 lb) which was able to take the many washes easily.

7 comments:

Kelly said...

Brinda...this is spectacular...very dramatic! I love the darks...

Lorrie Klosterman said...

Gasp!! I love this! The intricate detail of the buildings powerfully contrasts with the dark, simple but imposing cliffs. Viewing from below adds to the drama because this is clearly a place one would have to work hard to get to!

Dora Sislian Themelis said...

Brined, wonderful piece! As you can certainly attest, we learn by doing. Congrats on this!

Mermaid's Palette said...

Very nice, Brinda! The time you spent on this really shows- and the perspective is good, too!
Sheryl

Dora Sislian Themelis said...

Oops Brinda! I apologize for spelling your name wrong, iPad is in trouble now! LOL

Laure Ferlita said...

Brinda, I believe this is the strongest piece of work I've seen you post. It is exceedingly well done. I love the contrasts of the abstract to the tightly rendered areas as well as the fact that you've left some areas for the viewer to "complete" as they choose.

Your two years of work are paying off for you!

Claire M said...

Gorgeous composition here. It would look wonderful framed!