If you would like to receive encouraging comments on
your artwork, leave encouraging comments for others!

Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Other Side of Dark Apple- #7

Other Side of Dark Apple 
(c)2011 Dora Sislian Themelis
8x12 Watercolor, Arches 140lb cold press paper

This is the latest entry of my 100 paintings challenge, #7. Difficulty feeling like painting kept me from working and moving ahead. The paints, set-up, paper is out and available and still, I didn't paint. Today I was determined to keep at it. Thankfully, everything is ready for when I finally get myself together. I moved the still life to the other side of the table to see the items in different light and shadow. I like the apple for color, but I'm not happy with the colors. Still fooling around with these paints and maybe that's what is holding me back? Whatever the reason, it doesn't matter now because I painted and this is done. 

4 comments:

Lorrie Klosterman said...

Dora, I don't ordinarily think of blue when I think of "apple" but I just love that color on there! The diverse and clean colors on the shell are pleasing, too. You've succeeded here with a fresh and vibrant play of colors and an eye-catching arrangement. (I know those days of wanting to paint--in theory but not in enthusiasm--and have made myself do it anyway with mixed results--sometimes
discovering something pleasing, other times throwing the thing away!)

Dora Sislian Themelis said...

Thank you Lorrie. I went for blue for the highlights because I ruined the white of the paper with all my water and paint. Yellow didn't cut it, but blue was cool enough to stand in for white. Gotta do what ya gotta do!

Lorrie Klosterman said...

LOL I know about that rubbing out thing, too, trying to recoup the white. Well if I saw your apple in a gallery I would cross the room to look at its uniqueness, whereas I might easily pass up a conventional-looking apple with white highlights. To me, this is a great reminder of how, as the artist, we might have something specific in mind for a finished work, and feel like it didn't work, but to others who didn't know the plan, it can look innovative and intentional from the start!! ;-)

Dora Sislian Themelis said...

I really appreciate your comment Lorrie! It helps me to feel like I'm accomplishing something that could seem like progress.