If you would like to receive encouraging comments on
your artwork, leave encouraging comments for others!

Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Kelly - Painting 27

I saw this White-throated Sparrow back in January. I was at a local park photographing birds while Matty and his friend were sledding. This fellow was tucked so deeply into the branches it was impossible to photograph him, but I studied him for three or four minutes while he sat puffed up against the cold, knowing I'd turn him into a painting. It wasn't quite as dark as I painted it here, but the sun was starting to sink, and evening was falling hard--the cold biting bitterly and leaving my fingers practically numb. To create the background, I masked out the branches and bird, and used a heavy wash sprinkled liberally with salt. I wanted the dark blue to convey cold and impending nightfall. I used many layers to create the dark, dark branches, trying to add to the feel of dusk.
(Watercolor, 12x16 Arches Cold Pressed 140 lb Paper)

3 comments:

Claire M said...

Oh.... I love this scene with this little guy. I can feel the 'cold' too!

cindyzlogic said...

This is just outstanding, Kelly!! I love your composition and the b/g so complements it!!

Mermaid's Palette said...

Nice, Kelly! The salt was perfect for the background!
Sheryl