If you would like to receive encouraging comments on
your artwork, leave encouraging comments for others!

Thursday, March 17, 2011

Lorrie #5 - Berkeley Tree

Berkeley Tree, 8 x 12 inches, watercolor.
On a recent trip to Berkeley it was damp and a bit chilly, but I was determined to paint something before I drove home. I pulled over in town and parked the car a few times, looking for something that stood out. This huge tree, crammed up against a tall building, certainly did. So I sat in the car a while and did a reference painting, and then later at home did this one. Notice the lack of cars or people! I had no patience for all that. LOL. There is a lot of detail missing from the hills behind, and the streets and so on. But I'm trying to "keep it simple" so the focus is the big tree (and the other yellow ones).

7 comments:

Cheri said...

Hi Lorrie,

Love this watercolor. Especially the reflections of the trees in the street. Very Nice

Dora Sislian Themelis said...

Isn't is great that we can eliminate the things we have no patience for like cars or people? I can relate! This really gives the feeling of a quiet, rainy day with your colors and brush strokes.

Jacqueline said...

I love the watercolor feel of this painting! You capture the dampness too with you watery reflections.

Elva Paulson said...

Beautiful variety of color in this. It glows.

Mermaid's Palette said...

This is really pretty- my favorite part is the nice reflections, but I also love the way you did the soft background!
Sheryl

Kelly said...

Wow....I love the watery feel of this painting...and the colors you chose!

Claire M said...

I love the softness in this painting.