If you would like to receive encouraging comments on
your artwork, leave encouraging comments for others!

Sunday, January 31, 2010

#002 Wolf Moon

Upon reflection, I have to admit my first post to the “100 Paintings Challenge” was a carefully done painting, not a ‘just go for it kind.’ In my defense I was scared stiff of painting the screen portion of the door; and were I painting for the market, Mortimer would have been perched on a knarly old branch, tucked deep in the woods.

Last night I jumped in with full abandon. I love full moons and thought I was going to miss this one because we tend to drown in rain and clouds at this time of year. Fate was kind and when I said “Goodby” to my guests last night, I looked up and there it was, the “Wolf Moon.’ It was more out of the clouds than in and had soft edges because of the moisture in the air. Good challenge.

Strathmore cold press 140# paper and watercolor

7 comments:

Teri said...

I love this moon Elva. It looks mysterious the way the clouds are partially covering it.
Arn't those serendipitous happens just fun?!

K said...

Hi Elva, love the spontaneity of the clouds here!

Kathy said...

This is beautiful, Elva! Love the granulation in the dark blue and the soft mingling of all the colors. I'm glad you went for it ; )

Claire M said...

So interesting to see your post. This looks like you've captured the view of the moon that I was looking at last night. I had a similar idea last night when I saw an incredible full moon here -- I guess we're under the same moon.... I may still do my idea later tonight...

Elva Paulson said...

Hi Claire: Go for it! I painted the moon a month ago too. If I had painted it at 11:59 PM it would have been the rare "Blue Moon", but I didn't get to see it until morning so I guess it didn't even quality as a 'full moon.' It is always THE MOON -- big, little, near, far. Do try to capture it.

Laure Ferlita said...

This is granulation at its best - suggesting atmospheric effects! Lovely job, Elva.

With regard to Mortimer being a "carefully done painting" - the challenge should be a balanced mix of these, sketches, and studies - plein aire and studio work. Glad to see you're already mixing it up!!

Kelly said...

Hello, Elva, I've been away so long, I haven't met you yet! I love, love, love your Wolf Moon. My parents were talking about the Wolf Moon the other night. I had never heard that term before, and now I see your Wolf Moon here! Very cool....