If you would like to receive encouraging comments on
your artwork, leave encouraging comments for others!

Sunday, January 3, 2010

Pierogi - Krista


 Painting #4 of 100 Paintings
Watercolor, 9x9", Aquabee Sketchbook


 
Reference photo

This was previously blogged about, but thought it worth posting since it was done as part of the 100 Paintings Challenge.

When I first started this sketch after working on 140 lb cold-pressed paper for a few months, it was a joy to sketch in pencil in my sketchbook.  The pencil glided across the paper, caressed it almost.  But... I forgot how watercolor works (or doesn’t work!) With this type of surface.  True, I did want to have more of a sketchlike feel than an actual painting, but I was quickly getting frustrated that I could not make the paint do what it did on heavier paper.  My darks weren’t getting dark enough - and that’s exactly what I had wanted to concentrate on.  In the end, though, this came out to a reasonable interpretation of what I was hoping to achieve.

Also blogged about on my personal blog, describing a more personal point of view (and the recipe!).  Click on my blog link at left, then my 100 Paintings Gallery.

6 comments:

K said...

e-mail notification.

Teri said...

Ah, pierogis! My DH is Polish and I actually love them more than he does. Lot of depth in these.

Now I need to go over and look at your recipe as I have never made them.

Kelly said...

Yum! I have no idea what these are, but I remember you talking about them when we met at Clifton Gorge. I'll have to go and check out your recipe. They look really tasty....I like how you took the green from the plate in the original and made it the background color in your painting!

Gabrielle said...

Really nice painting with strong colors and I like how you combined the art with the words.

Geez, now I'm hungry. ;-)

Laure Ferlita said...

Very nice sketch, Krista! I'd say for the challenge of the paper this is very well done. Paper does make all the difference in the world!

Claire M said...

You did a great job of capturing these things. I've never had them, but looking at your reference photo -- I think you really captured their essence.