If you would like to receive encouraging comments on
your artwork, leave encouraging comments for others!

Saturday, January 23, 2010

Backlit Trees - Krista



Painting #13 of 100 Paintings in a Year
Watercolor, 3.5 x 5”, 140 lb Arches Cold Press paper

Observations:  I’m discovering that I need to have a separate clear water brush with me, as I don’t often have enough time to wash out my brush first.  Seems also like a waste of paint if it was done after the first stroke.

Also, I keep switching papers, going from my sketchbook to Arches.  I want to be proficient in both, and they both react differently.  It’s kind of like an science experiment.


5 comments:

K said...

e-mail notification

Teri said...

I love the way the light is coming from the back. t just makes the whole painting sparkle.

Kelly said...

Krista....I commented on this painting on your blog. I love it. So warm and sunny.... I can hear the bird song...

Kathy said...

Beautiful, warm, and glowing!

Laure Ferlita said...

Hmmm, love that you're getting more daring in your subject matter.

Painting backlight items are tough especially as they almost always call for very strong values. At least 4 value shades between the lightest light of an object and its darkest dark. 1 next to a 5, 2 next to a 6 or even more.

I do see darker values in this than what I'm used to seeing, Krista. Good job!