If you would like to receive encouraging comments on
your artwork, leave encouraging comments for others!

Monday, January 4, 2010

Paintings Number 3 and 4 Cactus Blooms



I started out with this painting and then moved right on because I didn’t like it. (geez, that judge in me is so overwhelming).  I like the colors but the cactus blooms just didn’t look right.  I painted this from a photo I took last spring when this plant was blooming and the flowers are so delicate and faintly colored that I decided to try just one flower so it was the only focus.




I like the delicacy of this one but it is lost on the white paper.  I did crank up the pink a bit and put a light blue wash in the background.  My question is; what kind of background would  look best?   
I get so focused on my subject that backgrounds elude me.   I guess I see the trees and not the forest.


This is on Strathmore 140# cold press watercolor paper.  A good paper is such a dream to paint on.  I think I've been using Moleskine way too long.

5 comments:

Laure Ferlita said...

These are fun, Teri! I love all the little "knobby" things and the other buds - very cool!

You're the artist - what do YOU think would make a great background? Do you see something darker? Another cactus behind the bloom? A deep blue sky? A little of both? Something else?

Leave the safety of the photo ref behind and try something different! Do what you think the image needs.

Kelly said...

...maybe because I don't know what the plant looks like and I've never seen the blossom, I like the painting. I see the difference in the closeup, but I still like the big painting!

K said...

Wow, Teri, at first I thought the top image was your reference photo! Amazing.

I do like the close-up of the bottom image, with all the detail you put in there.

I'm no help with backgrounds, but I like what Laure said about it.

I agree about the paper too. I have a handbook and an Aquabee and much prefer 140 lb watercolor paper, but still trying to work within the limitations of my sketchbooks.

Great job, Teri!

Claire M said...

I was really taken by the first image especially the green part -- seeing the lights and darks -- ins and outs in the shape. As for the flower portion I can see the delicate petals a bit more in the second image.

Kathy said...

I think they are both beautiful, Teri. The petals on the second one are perfect and delicate--I love the colors!