If you would like to receive encouraging comments on
your artwork, leave encouraging comments for others!

Sunday, January 24, 2010

Painting #11 - Kelly - Mute Swans at the Queen's Hamlet

Mute Swans at the Queen's Hamlet

...an edited down version of "Moulin," the watermill cottage in the simulated rustic village built for Marie Antoinette at Versailles. These "swans" are actually the same swan in different poses. I photographed him last spring swimming in a pond near my house. Since Mute Swans are native to Europe, not North America, he fits perfectly in the French landscape. (I painted this one very quickly, really trying to capture the feel of being on site on a cold and dreary January day.)

5 comments:

Kathy said...

This is lovely, Kelly! Great detail--beautiful shadows on the swans. I love the reflection of the mill in the water. This one does make me feel cold ; )!

Teri said...

You have definitely captured that cold feeling with the bare trees. I love the way the swan's wings are raised as in a greeting. Lovely landscape.

Laure Ferlita said...

Good job, Kelly on simplifying the scene. You've also done a great job of capturing a cold day in January!

Deepa Gopal said...

Love the swans and the reflection...Wonderful!

K said...

Great idea on incorporating your knowledge of birds into your Paris painting. I love the house and its reflections in the water.